Friday 18 October 2019

Week 3 summary

Illness still holding me back but it's getting better. To make up for me not being able to work at a computer for long hours I've turned to tutorials and lectures for the time being.

Some interesting things I've learnt:

InstantMeshes - An interactive field-aligned mesh generator
Some people enjoy retopology, but I'm not one of them. So I'm on a constant lookout for new ways of making this task easier. I did like this software a lot as we're able to retopologize to desired vertex count, there are different alghorithms to choose from (quads and tri based) and a variety of tools to help with proper loop placement. It did not work as desired with small, low poly props I'm currently making but will definitely use it in the future for speeding up the production process in the future.






Zremesher - I compared my results with Zremesher, however even with polypaint and loop strokes it did not generate desired results. I'll keep trying with other models but this time I had to tweak my low poly meshes by hand in Maya.






In order to test my low poly retopology models I've tested them in Substance Painter. In my 2nd year projects I got really lazy with my UV's so I tried to improve these. They're still not perfect but I'm behind because of the illness at the moment so my focus is going to be on finishing the rest of the assets, their materials, shaders & presentation.
Turns out my model baked really well and I'm satisfied with the results, this gives me a good base for texturing :)


And here is a quick mock up of some default substance materials on my fish skeleton model ( I do not own these materials and did not alter them in any way, it's only for testing purposes only)




I've also made an initial Unreal Engine blockout for the formative submission purpose only. 






No comments:

Post a Comment